Thursday 31 January 2013

Facial expressions and Parkinson's


Facial expressions are finely tuned movements of many facial muscles; particular sets of these movements act as a social signal indicating a person’s state of mind. Because Parkinson’s affects movement, it cuts across this social signalling by making it harder to form facial expressions; it can make the sufferers face bland, emotionless and appear vacant, in spite of the sea of emotion underneath.

The more control you have handling something the lighter it appears to feel. Therefore, my face can feel heavy and unresponsive as the facial muscles fight the pull of gravity. The lack of spontaneous emotion in my face can lead others to assume I’m not listening or don’t understand, causing them to talk LOUDLY or very…slowly…to…me. Not only does Parkinson’s affect the physical and mental but also the social.

1 comment:

  1. absolutely right.
    When waliking,sometimes as I just concentrate on my gait,I can't feel free.

    ReplyDelete