Friday 4 January 2013

Parkinson's and writing this blog


As I am typing this blog I am fighting my Parkinson’s to gain sufficient control of my hands and fingers to press the keys I want; my hands are trembling and my fingers are slow to move. Sometimes, frustratingly, I can’t remove my finger from a key in time resulting iin multipleee lettters appearing on the screenn, which I have to laboriously delete. Every word is typed and every extra letter is deleted with maximum effort and each essay, whether good or bad, memorable or instantly forgotten, is soaked in the same determination and concentration.

This reveals an important feature of my Parkinson’s; I can’t do things with minimal effort or attention any more. Every task and every movement requires concentration and takes longer to complete. This forces me to ration my energy and limits what is on my “to do” list. As a person who used to work without care for the limits of my endurance it is a difficult lesson to learn.

The aim I am trying to achieve now is to manage my energy to allow me to do the things I want to ddo. O, there’s another extra letter to delete…

No comments:

Post a Comment