Saturday 15 June 2013

Equal effort, different pay-off

Coping with a diagnosis of Parkinson’s and reflecting on the daily Parkinson’s grind in a helpful, positive way is hard; it requires discipline, concentration, emotional energy and sometimes stubbornness. All of this requires large amounts of energy, which is a challenge to find since a symptom of Parkinson’s is lack of energy.

Reacting in an unhelpful, negative way to Parkinson’s is equally effortful as a positive reaction; the negative also requires discipline, concentration, emotional energy and sometimes stubbornness. The negative and positive makes the same demands on you. Crucially, the negative eats itself and grows stronger; it narrows the view you have of the world and is only interested in itself. On the other hand, the positive expands possibilities and generously provides sustenance for you; it grows strong with you and not at your expense. Why not use your limited resources to be positive?

I can be very stubborn. I can stubbornly stand still in my negativity; “I refuse to move.” Equally, the same source of stubbornness can be used to continue my evolution and my journey; “I refuse to stop.”

The choice is yours…

1 comment:

  1. I agree. This logic holds true for all, but most of all for those of us with a more limited energy supply. We will feel better using what we have in a + way.

    ReplyDelete