Friday 23 August 2013

I’m busy with fire

Imagine the shock of the first person to create fire; the fear, awe and wonder of unleashing this power seemingly from nothing; a power that can burn or provide warmth. With it the thought was born that we can manipulate the environment to our advantage. We should all be grateful that this person shared their discovery with others. We have been busy with fire ever since.

I have been trying to control a fire of a different kind. When I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s the Doctors set my mind alight with a Parkinson’s fire (the Parkinson’s fuel had been accumulating for years) and it quickly spread fear, resignation and mourning throughout me. It burnt me, like I’m sure fire burnt that first discoverer. It was difficult to hold the Parkinson’s flame and examine its nature. But slowly I confined it to a specific place and found distance from the intense heat.

I have started to use the fire to light candles all around my being to help me understand who I am and what I am capable of. I carry the Parkinson’s torch around with me; sometimes it burns me but sometimes it lights my way…

No comments:

Post a Comment