Tuesday 17 December 2013

Losing and gaining hope

Losing hope is caused by not being able to see the possibility of your free will influencing the outcome of an event. In our random, unjust world it is a constant battle (mostly filled in by religion and science) to maintain your hope. All hope is based on the basic premise that one day we will fully understand the world and be able to be the cause of its effect on us. In the absence of hope we sink down to our knees and let the howling winds of the world shake us out of ourselves.

Therefore, we lose the connection between ourselves and the world when we lose hope. Like the arrival of Parkinson’s in your life, you see the future you expected to have being snatched away. How do we gain our hope back?

We do not lose our free will when we lose hope; we lose the perception of what our free will can do. Therefore, even when we lose hope we are free to choose our reaction to the world and in doing so colour the world according to our will. For example, losing hope I will ever share my life with someone because of my Parkinson's causes me to perceive every woman I meet as automatically not interested in me. This causes me to lose even more hope and makes me determined to give up any possibility I have to express my heart. The world continues with its perceived indifference towards me because I don’t engage with it. I need to see the possibility of the world accommodating me and allowing me to express myself within it. If, with renewed hope in the efficacy of my free will, I can create space for me it means I can create space for others to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment